Individuals attempting unauthorised interstate travel will be summoned

Photo used for illustration purposes only

MELAKA – Summonses will be imposed on individuals caught attempting to travel interstate to return to their villages to celebrate Ramadan, said Bukit Aman Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department (JPJKK) director Datuk Zainal Abidin Kasim.

As such he said, more stringent checks would be conducted at all roadblocks at the state border and only those authorised to travel interstate would be allowed to do so.

Advertisement

“I foresee that the roads and highways will be busy this weekend as many will be travelling to celebrate Ramadan in their hometowns as they could not do so last year because of the Movement Control Order.

“They will try all possible means to travel interstate so if they are caught this time no more advice will be given… the police will take action straight away,” he told reporters after the launch of the Satu Taman Satu Polis programme, here, today.

Also present were Melaka police chief, Datuk Abdul Majid Mohd Ali and State JPJKK chief, ACP Mohd Hedzir Hussin.

Elaborating Zainal Abidin said more roadblocks would be mounted from time to time, depending on the number of daily COVID-19 positive cases reported.

So far, he said 30 to 35 roadblocks were being mounted at every exit and entry point as well as at state borders nationwide as and when necessary.

Meanwhile, he said the Satu Taman Satu Polis programme would be extended nationwide, especially in rural areas in an effort to provide quality services and to increase the level of security and sustainability of the housing areas involved.

He said the programme is expected to create a positive impact on community safety thus reducing crimes in the affected areas.

“An impact study will be conducted three months after the programme has been implemented and if it is seen to bring a great positive impact, 20 more housing estates will be included in the second phase of the programme in the state,” he said.

Fake news

The police meanwhile have today denied a report that has gone viral on social media claiming that a teacher died after receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

Port Dickson district police chief Supt Aidi Sham Mohamed said the woman who had suffered a seizure when she was at home was rushed to Port Dickson Hospital on April 1 for treatment.

She was pronounced dead the next day.

“This viral report is not true and the police deny that the victim had died after getting the COVID-19 vaccine on March 30.

“This is because the initial investigation conducted by the hospital found that the victim had a record of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart ailment and high blood pressure and had been on treatment since a year ago,” he said in a statement here.

Earlier, news on the death of the 54-year-old female teacher in Port Dickson due to COVID-19 vaccination, made its rounds on social media.

Aidi Sham advised the public not to spread fake news that could mislead the public adding that this is an offence under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1988 which carries a maximum fine of RM50,000 or a jail term not exceeding one year or both.