SHAH ALAM – Former Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan has urged the authorities to expedite investigations and take action against a former minister for alleging that the intrusion by terrorists in Lahad Datu in 2013 was a farce.
Such an allegation, he said, was akin to insulting the security forces’ efforts in defending the country during the incident and also as a lesson to others not to “try” to do the same.
Musa, who was the eighth IGP, was also disappointed with the former minister’s allegation as the security personnel who died in the incident had served with distinction and gave their lives to protect the country’s sovereignty and security.
“I hope no one will ever belittle the action of our security forces who have maintained the peace and security of the country since the communist threat.
“I hope we do not politicise it (the Lahad Datu incident). They (the fallen security personnel) have heirs who are still alive and who will be affected by such statements,” he told a press conference here Sept 24.
Musa added that the former minister should also realise that if the security forces are not always on the alert in protecting the peace and sovereignty of the country, then no one will be able to sleep well.
He also reminded everyone, including those involved in politics, that no one was “immune” from legal action, whereby the act of “insulting” the security forces could be dealt with in accordance with the Police Act or provision under the Penal Code.
Former tourism, arts and culture minister Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi was reported to have allegedly said that the terrorist intrusion in Lahad Datu was a sham when campaigning in the Sabah state election recently.
Following that, Deputy IGP Datuk Seri Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani said a total of 72 police reports had been lodged against Mohamaddin, who is also a Parti Warisan Sabah (Warisan) candidate for the Sabah polls.